The Snow Hall we see today was constructed in the Collegiate Gothic style, and opened in 1930. It was the building on campus named in honor of Francis H Snow
F H Snow
Snow Hall of Natural History
(1885 - 1934) , who taught math and natural sciences at KU when the University first opened for classes in September 1866. Professor Snow became KU's 5th chancellor in 1890 and held this position through 1901. The original Snow Hall of Natural History designed by John G. Haskell suffered from a faulty foundation and was demolished only 49 years after its construction in 1885.
Snow Hall currently houses Mathematics, Computer Science and Enviromental Science programs.
Strong Hall was based on designs by Montrose McArdle as an Administration and College building to fulful George Kessler's master plan of 1904 which responded to the needs of the growing student body. Strong Hall displays Classical Revival style archetecture and is a rare example of high-style Beaux Arts. Constructed between 1909 and 1923 the building was named after the 6th chancellor of KU, Frank Strong who lead the University from 1902 to 1920.A majority of the buildings rooms are offices, however there is some classroom space. Strong Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic places in 1998. Outside Strong Hall sits a 1/2 ton bronze statue of a Jayhawk. The statue was created by sculptor Elden Tefft.